Family Law & Adoption
Whether you are having a hard time deciding whether to file for divorce, want to modify your previous arrangements with your child's parent, are planning to get married and interested in a prenuptial agreement, or want your spouse to adopt your child, the Law Office of Casandra J. Nelson is prepared to assist you in all of your family law matters.
The various matters that our office can assist you with are outlined below:
- Adoption: If you are a stepparent considering adoption of your spouse's child, we can assist you.
- Child custody and parenting time: Orders related to child custody and parenting time describe the legal and practical relationship between a parent and his or her child, such as the right of the parent to make decisions and the parent's duty to care for the child. Parenting time relates to a parent's right to time or visitation with a child. These issues may arise in a divorce, post-divorce, or paternity case. We can help you craft a schedule that works for both parents or file for a modification.
- Child support: Child support orders are legal obligations to provide financial support for a child, which may arise in a divorce or paternity matter. We can assist you in determining the amount of child support likely to be ordered or in modifying a current child support order.
- Dissolution of Marriage: A divorce can include issues such as property division, child custody and parenting time, child support, and spousal maintenance. We are ready and willing to stand by your side and assist you through this difficult time.
- Legal Separation: If you are not sure about filing for divorce, a legal separation allows a married couple to live apart while they decide to stay married or divorce. Our firm has knowledge about legal separation and can advise you about the process.
- Modifications: Once the judge has entered an order for parenting time, custody, or child support in your family law case, you may want to modify it. We are prepared to assist you.
- Paternity: If you conceived a child outside of marriage, you may want to initiate a paternity action to address custody, parenting time, or child support with the other parent. We are prepared to assist you.
- Prenuptial agreements: If you or your spouse are interested in protecting assets in the event of your death or divorce, you may want to contact us to draft and/or review a prenuptial (premarital) agreement for you.
- Protective Orders: If you are a victim of domestic or family violence, a sexual offense, or stalking, we can assist you in getting a protective order.
- Relocation: If you are moving, you may be required to file a Notice of Intent to Relocate with the court in your family law case. We can help you determine if you need to file this and what other steps might be involved in your relocation.
The Law Office of Casandra J. Nelson would be happy to represent you in your family law matter. For more information, please contact the Law Office of Casandra J. Nelson at (317) 530-3001 or email email@example.com.